Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Eating With the Larsons

Now that you've seen two weeks of my grocery shopping (here and here), you may wonder what we're eating during the week. Here's last week's menu (if we can even call it that).

We're not very formal...as you're going to see. But I try to put more effort into our lunches because, in my opinion, that's when it really counts - you're away from home, you can't just get something else to eat from the kitchen...lunch should be really good.

Breakfast
Jordan - a strong cup of black coffee, every morning
Me - this week, a piece of banana bread, every morning (courtesy of mom, had been frozen since Christmas)

Jordan's lunches
  • Monday - Chicken Tortilla Soup, an orange, a yogurt (leftovers from the week before's dinner, courtesy of the freezer dinner exchange
  • Tuesday - too busy to eat
  • Wednesday - free lunch provided on campus 
  • Thursday - Chicken Tortilla Soup, an orange, a yogurt
  • Friday - 1 corn muffin and orange (he forgot to warm up the chicken and brussel sprouts [leftoever from Thursday's dinner] before going to a study session)
  • Saturday - Chicken legs, brussel sprouts and a corn muffin (from yesterday's lunch)
  • Sunday - Rotel Velveeta Dip. Yeah, he loves it.
My lunches
  • Monday - Spaghetti Casserole and an orange (leftovers from last week's dinner, courtesy of the freezer dinner exchange)
  • Tuesday - Chicken Tortilla Soup and an orange (same as above)
  • Wednesday - Loaded Baked Potato Chowder and an orange (leftoever from Tuesday night's supper)
  • Thursday - an avocado and an orange
  • Friday - the boss took us all out to LuLu's
  • Saturday - grilled ham & cheese sandwich
  • Sunday - this is a Heiberger weekly tradition: eggs after church (it's before church for us, since we go to the 5pm service...but still...) + toast (and usually bacon, for Jordan, man's gotta have meat!) AND if I ever feel really adventurous I make hashbrowns, but not today.
Dinner
  • Monday - Jordan: PB&J sandwich.  Me: granola bar from work (I didn't go home in between work and hanging out with friends). 
  • Tuesday - Loaded Baked Potato Chowder (You should probably make this immediately. So delicious. I always include a bag of fresh, frozen [thawed] broccoli and bacon.)
  • Wednesday - Buttermilk-roasted Chicken legs with corn muffins and brussel sprouts with gorgonzola cheese. (This was a freezer meal from the exchange - I used the broccoli that came with it in the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder. I try to keep frozen brussel sprouts on hand b/c they're hubby's fave. If you like this veggie, don't buy fresh - they're really spendy. The frozen bag is affordable, healthy, and still delicious.)
  • Thursday - Jordan: Rotel Velveeta Dip (what can I say, the man eats what he wants). Me: leftover chowder from Tuesday. 
  • Friday - Jordan: more dip (I told you he loves it). Me: avocado mixed with a tablespoon or so of Rotel Velveeta Dip. Yeah...we're that informal sometimes...
  • Saturday - Cubed Steaks Paprika. ...So, I'd had these 6 5-oz cubed beef steaks in our freezer for...*cough*...years. Yeah. I brought them with me from SD. I bought them before my bro got married in July 2011. Eek. They were old. But frozen!!! I got them as part of a HyVee deal: 100 pieces of meat (a variety) for $100. We split it with my bro - he got $50 worth and we got $50 worth. These cube steaks were the last of that deal...I just didn't know what to do with them! They were only a dollar each (I had 6 of them)...but I was not going to let that $6 go to waste! Even after almost 3 years! (How embarrassing.) I (finally) opened up my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook (best thing ever. Christmas gift a few years ago from my sis, I read it cover to cover. Not kidding.) and found one recipe for beef cubed steaks. And it was a hit (and only took 30mins to make). Jordan said it tasted like "gourmet hamburger helper" (and he loves HH). Recipe posted below. 
  • And beets! I love beets. Courtesy of my mom's garden and her mad canning skills.
  • Sunday - Beef Pot Roast. This is a super simple, and delicious, pot roast, recipe courtesy of the amazing Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It cooks for 10-12hrs in the crockpot and will be more than plenty for lunches this week. Recipe is posted below. 
Fresh veggies. My fav.

This meat is BROWNED. Not cooked yet.
Ready to go in the crockpot!


Cubed Steaks Paprika
1 tbsp butter
4 4- to 6-oz beef cubed steaks
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp flour
2 cups hot cooked noodles

  1. Melt butter in skillet. Brown steaks for 5-8mins, turning once. Remove steaks (leave meat drippings in skillet).
  2. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, paprika and pepper to skillet. Cook until mushrooms are tender. 
  3. Stir in broth. Mix together sour cream and flour, then add to skillet. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and is bubbly. 
  4. Return steaks to skillet with sauce; heat through. Serve over hot noodles.
I had everything on hand for this recipe except for the mushrooms ($1.99 - I used half the container in this recipe) and the sour cream ($0.88 - I used half of the 8oz container for this recipe). The ingredients (mushrooms, sour cream and meat [$4]) cost $6.87...add a few bucks for the other items that most people probably have on hand and this recipe for four cost a little over $2 per serving. Jordan will definitely be eating this "gourmet hamburger helper" for lunch two times in the upcoming week. (Plus I've got the other 2 of the 6 "steaks" that I cooked up and will probably use in something else...maybe...spaghetti? lol)


Beef Pot Roast
  1. Trim fat off roast (this recipe says 2.5-3lb roast) and brown all sides in oil in a skillet on the stove. 
  2. Cut up potatoes (2 medium), carrots (6 sticks), onions (2 small) and celery (2 stalks) and put in the bottom of your crockpot. Place roast on top.
  3. Mix together 3/4 cup water, 1 beef bullion cube, 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, 1 tsp crush basil. Pour over roast and veggies. Cook on low for 10-12 hrs.   
As you can see, we're (mostly) leftover eaters. How do you keep mealtime simple?

No comments:

Post a Comment