Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter

The joke in recent years was that I had to schedule time with my mom weeks in advance to hang out with her. It was basically true though - not just because she was crazy busy, but because I was, too. In my short time here, I've somehow managed to pick up the same crazy-busy schedule that I've always enjoyed. Guess it's in my blood.

SUNDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week Sunday, we enjoyed (yet again) another fabulous sermon. Here's just a snippet from my notes (over 1st Corinthians 7: 10-16, which our pastor called the "divorce" sermon):

  • Strife is the root of all divorce - and forgiveness is the only thing that heals strife. Experiencing God's forgiveness is the only way to truly be able to give out forgiveness (because, through receiving God's forgiveness, we've received the ultimate forgiveness...and if He can forgive our great sins, our selfish is it of us to not forgive others?). God goes to great lengths to forgive us...He sent His Son to die. He turned away from His Son as He took on our sins. Remembering (and receiving!) that great sacrifice should make it all the more simple for us to forgive.  
After church, we went out to Fort Leavenworth for lunch with uncle Pat, aunt Kathy and cousin Greta. We were right on time...until we got five minutes from their house (literally. five minutes.) and the bridge was closed. We followed the detour (away from KC, into the boonies of Kansas)....for an hour. It would have been faster for us to go back to KC and go a different way. We got some good car time in. I was a teeeeensy bit frustrated with the Kansas DOT though. 

Once we arrived, we enjoyed delicious curry and then went off base into Leavenworth for an Ice Cream Social at The Carroll Mansion Museum. We just missed the bass quartet, but really enjoyed hearing the barbershop quartet...so good! It was this group of little old(er) men, with matching vests (in different colors) and ties. Super cute. They were even dancing and swaying with their music. We enjoyed ice cream and homemade dessert (I had a fabulous apple pie with cinnamon crumbles on top) and then got a (brief) tour of the Carroll Mansion. It reminded me of the Pettigrew Museum in Sioux Falls. Here's a short description from the website I linked to above:
The decorative features of George McKenna are the highlights of the house. Each room has unique stained glass windows and transoms, none of the patterns being repeated. Most rooms have combination gas and electric light fixtures dating from the 1880s. On the first floor, the parlor, hall, library, drawing room, and dining room have individual parquet floor inlays of maple, oak, walnut, and mahogany. Each room has carved decorations that reflect the wood of that room: e.g. walnut in the library, oak in the hall, maple in the parlor. There are five fireplaces in the house. Each has a carved mantle, ceramic inserts, and hearth tiles. 
MONDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks ago I went to our church's community picnic and met a few girls who invited me to their Monday evening get-togethers. (not every Monday, but often enough) I am SO thankful for this. I love that Jordan and I have med student friends and wives to hang out with, but I also prayed that I'd have friends that were just friends...and not only med student wives (if that makes sense). We went to the Parkville Nature Sanctuary (only 10 mins from home!) for a walk/hike....just in time to get DRENCHED. Wasn't raining when we started, wasn't raining when we finished. It's been a long time since I've done anything in the rain! Afterwards, we went and warmed up with some beverages at Caribou. Yum.

New friends! Rachel, Jenny, Emily.
Picture courtesy of Emily's blog.
Afterwards, in my still-soaking clothes, I was thrilled to discover (on the side of the road, after I'd already left Caribou) that my tire was completely flat. Woot. Not really, but it did give me many things to be thankful for! (That's weird, I know, but it really did.) Right as I was calling Jordan to come help me, a guy (about my dad's age, named Aaron) pulled up and offered to help me - such a blessing. He was a tow truck guy and knew how to change a tire right quick. I felt like a bit of a wuss for not changing my own tire, but turns out I would have needed someone's help anyways: getting the jack unhooked from the car took some yanking (we didn't have a flashlight, so couldn't tell how it was in there), the little jack was difficult to use (aka, my puny muscles wouldn't have done the trick), my tires come off EXTREMELY hard - dad even has to kick 'em quick a few times before they loosen. And, I wouldn't have known that I couldn't drive a spare on the front down the interstate the next AM. And then he followed me to the gas station and aired up my tire because the spare was really flat! So, thank goodness for Aaron.

TUESDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tire saga continues. (and despite all the craziness that ensued, I still found myself being thankful for a lot of things!) Jordan and I had to share his car, so he got a ride with another med student for the AM. We overslept and woke up three minutes after his ride was supposed to be there. He literally had 1 minute to get ready (I still had 45mins). I drove his little Geo Metro (with no power steering!) to work and then left 30mins early to try to get the tire situation taken care of. J told me to use my "girl charm" to get the job done, lol. They were booked out at Walmart (despite calling earlier in the day), but the guy still came out to my car and looked at my tire for free (he couldn't figure out where it was losing air though). He directed me to another service station down the road. They were closing  just as I got there, but the manager stayed around to figure out what the deal was (he filled it with air and we found the hole right away) and then he called 2 different service stations to get me in that night. I drove over to the third place, they fixed me up (needed a new tire), got my car aligned (they do a free assessment...and now my steering wheel doesn't shake anymore!) and sent me on my way. So thankful that my parents taught me good budgeting and that we were able to afford a new tire (and it didn't mean that we couldn't pay the rent or that we needed to panic or that we didn't have the money), thankful that hubby and I were able to share a car for a day, thankful that I had the time to drive around looking for a place to get my tire fixed, thankful that everyone was so helpful...it was a good evening.

WEDNESDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apparently did nothing of importance this evening. I believe I made up a little rice, beans, taco-chicken dish for our lunches and did the laundry. Always nice to have at least one quiet evening at home.

THURSDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel Community night. Something I already really look forward to...and it's only been 2 nights! The other half of the group shared our stories tonight. It is so refreshing and revealing hearing how God is working in people's lives...and how He's worked throughout their lives. I already feel super blessed by this group, and hope that I'm able to bless them in return.

FRIDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date night!!! I really look forward to Friday evenings. Not just because the work week is over, but it's the one night that hubby and I get to spend intentional, focused time together. This week, we had a groupon for The Majestic we needed to use up (it expires at the end of the month). Our groupon was for bowl of mussels prepared in a white-wine garlic cream sauce, served with fries and a martini for each of us - either Grey Goose vodka or Hendricks gin. The Majestic is a jazz club and we were seated super close to the Bram Wijnands Trio - drums, trumpet, piano. What a great experience. Our server didn't come to our table for close to 10mins (which really wasn't that much of a bother, since we were enjoying the music and the atmosphere) but he still subbed our drinks for two martinis that we'd enjoy more than what was offered with the groupon (prices just an fyi...not what we paid, since we had a groupon):

  • Burning Bush ($13) - A powerful combination of Bookers Bourbon with ginger syrup and jasmine (Jordan said this was easily the best drink he's ever had. And, after the ice had changed the flavor of it, I even enjoyed it, too.)
  • Jasmine ($9) - Plymouth Gin, Cointreau and Campari make a tart martini cocktail with a grapefruit flavor
With our mussels, which were delicious, we opted to get the Charcuterie & Cheese Plate ($15) - described as "the Chef’s selection of fine meats and cheeses". And it surely was. Unfortunately, we don't remember what any of the cheeses or meats were (except the goat cheese. de.li.cious.), the plate also included grapes, strawberries, crackers, and kalmata olives. It was a wonderful date and someday (we're thinking some-dr.-day) we'll go back to enjoy a REAL dinner there...and Jordan can get the $56 Porterhouse steak. Holy goodness prices.


And that wasn't even the end of our night! We headed over to Josh & Audrey's for warm pumpkin pie (and amazing homemade crust!) and wine with a few other friends. So blessed to have these people in our lives!

SATURDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
City Market. 30mins. $11. 'nough said. (I always have to leave after a short while because I want to buy everything.)
7 bananas, 1 cantaloupe, 6 plums, 3 onions, 1 head of lettuce, 3 heads of garlic, 2 zucchinis,
3 yellow squash, and 1 approx 3-cup bag of avocado.
Jordan spent the day studying and I did paperwork. In the evening we enjoyed chicken fajitas and watched Wrath of the Titans. A good Saturday.

SUNDAY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now we've come full circle. Or rather, to today. (I know. It seemed like we'd never get here.) We had a guest speaker at church, Dr. Paul David Tripp, who was in town doing a marriage conference for our church (which we missed out on...I could have gone alone, but didn't think that'd be very fun, lol. We're contemplating purchasing the CD of the conference.). A few thoughts from my notes (over Mark 6:45-52):
  • Faith isn't natural for us.Worrying is natural. Getting angry easily is natural. Etc, etc, etc
  • Faith and amazement aren't the same (we can be amazed by a bungee jumper, but then not do it ourselves because we don't have faith in the bungee)
  • God takes us where we don't intend to go, in order to produce in us what we couldn't achieve on our own. 
  • God's care for us begins when He sends us into the storm (we tend to think that His care for us begins when He brings us out of the storm) --> many times we need the storm to see His glory. He knows what we need to be able to see His grace. 
We went out for lunch with Matt & Liane, Larry, and Zach & Kody (and their super-cute daughter Leah) at The Boot. (Yeah...it seems like we eat out a lot...we sorta do - too much, I think! It's hard to find a balance when you want to have friends, but don't want to always be the party-pooper that doesn't want to eat out!) Jordan and I split the Breakfast Pizza ($12) and that was a good, affordable choice. It was about the size of a medium pizza, delicious crust, topped like a pepperoni pizza with extra mozzarella, spicy sausage, scrambled eggs, and jalapenos. I ate two pieces, Jordan ate three, and he ate the other three for dinner. 

After lunch, Zach, Kody, little Leah, Jordan, and I went to The Plaza Art Festival. Which is very similar to SF's Sidewalk Arts Fest...but if you'd like more info about what exactly this Art Fest was like, head on over to my friend Liane's blog - although we didn't go together, she captured it perfectly! (and she takes LOTS of pics - unlike me - AND this post is already waaaayyyyy too long!)

Hope you're enjoying life and glorifying God!


No comments:

Post a Comment