Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Groove

We're getting into the groove of things here at the L household. For Jordan, that's mostly studying. He'll occasionally take a break to watch a TV show (he loves Burn Notice) or a movie (this weekend's choices were Freelancers and the most recent Sherlock Holmes).

For me, that leaves a lot of free time (or at least more than hubby). I've never been good at just having "open" time, so here's what I've been up to in the past week:

Work. Yeah, it deserves to be top of the list only because it takes up most of my time. 8:30-5:30 every day. 45-min commute to work (thank you, big-city traffic) and 30-min commute home (again, big-city traffic...at a normal time [re: not rush hour] this commute would take 15-20mins). So, this is my day from 7:45am to 6pm.

By-choice work. This week, it was freelance editing for a friend's company back in SD. I'm super thankful for the extra cash and I think Jordan was super thankful that I had a quiet activity to do while he was studying.

College friends. Those "long" commutes leave lots of time to ... sit in traffic. I'm so excited that 2 of my bestest best college friends and I decided to have weekly phone calls to catch up. These ladies are my FAV. One of them I haven't seen since my wedding in March 2010 and we've made plans to meet up before this year ends. So. Excited.
Here they are. The lovelies. With bonus lovely in the middle :)

Cooking. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE to cook. It must be a stress reliever to me. This weekend included canning 4 pints of mom's tomatoes (brought from the garden in SD!) with onion and garlic, making creamed cucumbers (hubby's fav) with cuc's from mom's garden, cooking Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry for my lunches (this week, I'm going a step [or 12] above my standby egg salad sandwich!), BBQ Beef Shepard's Pie (mashed potatoes courtesy of mom's garden), SPICY salsa that J promptly devoured in 2 sittings (habanero courtesy of mom's garden), and a scrumptious study-break smoothie [note alliteration, hehe] made with watermelon (courtesy of Kay's boyfriend in West River SD), strawberries (courtesy of dad's wallet from the KC farmer's market) and 1 lime pudding (33 cents, courtesy of my cheapness at the grocery store).
Yum for later. Yum for now.

Errands (and others). Bank. Grocery store. Walmart. Laundry. Checkbook balancing. Haircut (nothing major or exciting). Those regular sort of things.

Crafty. I was feeling creative this weekend and spent some time making these little beauties...pics to come later of what they're for...



Church. A thoughtful sermon over 1st Corinthians 7:36-40 (while heavily relying on Eph. 5:22-33). Here are a few quick thoughts:
  • Eph 5:31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." I never thought about this before, but this verse is where the "leave and cleave" phrase comes from (be united = cleave). Leave and cleave = commitment and passion = love and respect. 
  • In the past, people married for social status, money, etc - marriage was all about commitment (passion was missing). Today, marriage is all about passion (commitment is missing). God sees marriage as BOTH commitment AND passion.
  • I've heard this many times before, but a reminder is always welcome: Marriage is a SMALL representation of something bigger --> the relationship of Jesus with His people (which is faithful, covenant love). Our marriage is to reflect Christ's love. It's not perfect, but it's the closest we'll get on this earth.
  • Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing." This verse portrays God as a lover. If you do not embrace God as a lover, you will embrace other lovers as God. This followed up the point that we tend to put our lovers (our  spouses, etc) in a place of worship - that place is only for God. If we always embrace God as a lover, He will have the first and foremost place of worship in our hearts. 
So, nothing major this week. But sometimes it's the quiet weeks (yeah, this was a quiet week for me, lol) that show you that you've really settled in and that a place is becoming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment