Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Freezer Meals: Round 1

Last night, I went to a Supper Swap at a friend's house. Can you say awesome idea?

Here's how it works:
  1. Each person brings 6 pre-made, pre-frozen meals that serve 4-6 people. 
  2. Swap!
  3. Each person goes home with new dinner options that are already prepared and ready to go...and you get the recipe, too! 
Easy, right? I had such a great time preparing my meals, that I wondered why I hadn't done this again* sooner. And, I called this "Round 1" because I'm certain I want to do this again! (and again and again and...)

*Over a year ago, mom, Kay and I made a BUNCH of freezer meals (and then we stored them at mom and dad's...awesome parents). At the end of our extravaganza, we each had 4 Taco Soups, 4 8x8 pans of Shepherd's Pie, 4 8x8 pans of chicken casserole, and 4 1-gallon bags of chicken bow tie pasta. It was pretty awesome to have that many meals all ready to go. 

For last night's Supper Swap, I made Taco Soup. It's easy, it's affordable, and it's delicious. (I'm sorry, I didn't keep track of the cost...and I already had 6lbs of hamburger on hand [thanks, again, to awesome parents]...but it was pretty darn cheap to make.  It only took me 2hrs (from start to washing the last dish) to make 6 freezer meals. 

2lbs of hamburger and an onion!
All the cans, opened and ready to go. (I told you this was simple!)
The BEST way to fill those gallon-sized bags: put them in a drink pitcher!! Pre-label the bags...they're  really hard to write on after they're filled (I remembered that from before!).
Tada! Freezing in the ... freezer...where else!?
I know you want to make some for your family. I've posted the recipe below. Enjoy!

Here are the meals I came home with:
Stocked two shelves in our little upright freezer!!
So excited to make these. Thanks for hosting, Emily! This was an awesome idea; can't wait to do it again!

Taco Soup
2 lbs ground beef
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 package dry Ranch dressing mix
1 small can diced chilies
Pepper to taste
Small onion, chopped
1 can hominy (do not drain) (this is found by the canned corn)
1 can kidney beans (do not drain)
1 can pinto beans (do not drain)
16 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can rotel tomatoes (I can never find 16 oz cans, so I usually buy 2 10-oz cans)
1 ½ cups water (or tomato juice)

Brown ground beef, add everything together and simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment