Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

KC Restaurant Week!

I'm going to try a different format ("theme" posts) and see if I like that better than my weekly recaps. Could just be a mood I'm in...we'll see.

We ate an embarrassing amount of delicious food this week. I'm [trying to...] justify it by telling myself it was Kansas City's Restaurant Week and that we normally wouldn't eat out three times in one week. And, normally, we wouldn't. So maybe that's okay? Either way. It was delicious. And for a good cause - 10% of sales went to support Harvesters - The Community Food Network, to fight hunger in the Kansas City Area. (Yes, it does seem slightly wrong to me that to "fight hunger" we're going out and eating at delicious restaurants....)

Lidia's
This is a fantastic little Italian restaurant about 2 blocks from where I work. On Friday afternoon, I went with the 4 other ladies I work with to lunch. For Restaurant Week, there is a set lunch menu for $15/person. You can choose one appetizer (soup of the day, caesar salad, or arancine lobster [risotto balls with lobster cream and lobster) - the girls got the salad and I got the arancine lobster, which were yum. For our main dish, we each did Lidia's Pasta Trio Tasting Menu - all you can eat pasta that they serve tableside. On Friday, the 3 kinds were meat-filled ravioli, rigatoni with marinara and fresh basil, and angel hair pasta with shrimp, broccoli and pesto. Delicious. Dessert was lemon cheesecake with a slice of blood orange. Lunch also came with a bread basket with 3 spreads: pesto hummus, black olive hummus, and roasted red pepper hummus.

Jordan and I went today for brunch. This time, the bread basket was sweet breads and came with 3 types of butter: orange, strawberry and cinnamon-sugar. We each ordered the caesar salad and Jordan enjoyed the Tasting Trio (today's was cheese-filled ravioli in a parmesan-peppercorn sauce, fettuccine with shrimp, broccoli and pesto, and rigatoni with a meat sauce) and I ordered the Scampi alla Felidia (Creamy Lemon-Garlic Shrimp with Roasted Spaghetti Squash and Pinenuts), which was soooo delicious. We took our cheesecake to go.
Cool decor/wine racks at Lidia's.
Huge, amazing blown-glass chandeliers. 
Hubby enjoying his Tasting Trio.


Scampi alla Felidia. Yum.

Bristol Seafood Grill
We splurged here. Three-course Restaurant Week dinner in Power & Light District downtown. We parked a few blocks away (I think it's ridiculous to pay for parking when you can just park a little further away and walk. God gave me legs for a reason.) and walked to the restaurant. We didn't have reservations, so they told us the wait was an hour and a half BUT if we watched for the tall tables to be empty, they are first-come, first-serve...so Jordan watched them like a hawk (or maybe that was me) and when one opened he jumped up and snagged it for us. We only waited about 10 minutes. Go hubby.

For our first course, Jordan enjoyed a delicious Spinach and Watercress Salad (roasted beets, poached pears, candied walnuts, gorgonzola, walnut vinaigrette) and I had the lobster bisque. I have a hard time saying no to lobster bisque, despite the fact that it was probably a billion calories all on its own. It was certainly delicious. For our main dish, we both got the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes. And they were really jumbo - 2 cakes and probably 1/4-1/3 cup each. They were served with creole remoulade, mango tartar sauce, whipped yukon gold potatoes and grilled asparagus. So rich. For dessert, I had the Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee and Jordan had the Chocolate Lava Cake with hazelnut ice cream. As dad would say, we were "fat and sassy" by the end of the meal. Good thing we had a few blocks to walk back to the car.

We're already looking forward to next year's restaurant week...but I'm sure we'll be trying lots of new restaurants before that comes around again. If you've been following my blog for any amount of time, you've probably noticed that we love trying new types of food and new restaurants!

No comments:

Post a Comment