Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Quick, Affordable Meals

This week, I made 2 quick and easy meals for us to enjoy and take for lunches.

The first was Loaded Baked Potato Chowder, which I've posted about multiple times before. It's just delicious, easy, and hearty. It's definitely on the go-to meal list.

My second meal came from Today's Creative Crockpot Cookbook (which I got for $2 from Kohl's after getting a $10 free coupon in the mail while we were living in Sioux Falls). One of my favorite sections in it is "5+5 Recipes: Five-minute prep & five easy ingredients". I've made the Pork Chile Verde a few times now...it's just so simple and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

Pork Chile Verde

2tsp salt
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp pepper
2.5lbs boneless pork roast, fat trimmed, cut in 1in cubes
16oz jar salsa verde

Combine pork and seasonings. Place in crockpot and cover with salsa verde. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8hrs (or high for 3-4hrs).



I made a few modifications: 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic salt and I added 1 tsp onion powder. I also just use whatever salsa I have on hand. And this time I used the 2 butterflied pork loins that I bought earlier and froze when they were on sale for $4.

I served this with the pictured Spanish Rice side ($1), to which I added a (drained) can of black beans ($0.88) and a 1qt bag of (thawed) frozen corn. Sprinkle with cheese and enjoy! SUPER SPICY! (To a wussy SD girl like me, hehe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment