Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Freezer Meals: Round 2

You may remember the first time I participated in a Freezer Meal exchange. It wasn't a disappointment. So when Emily suggested we do one again, I was the first one on the bandwagon.

Because I'm a crazy over-achiever (and because initially it looked like it might be just Emily and me exchanging), I went over the top and did 3 recipes for the exchange. Rules were the same as last time: bring 6 meals that each serve 4-6 people.

I brought 2 Texas Skillet meals, 2 Creamy Ham & Noodle Casseroles, and 2 Cheesy Chicken & Rice with Veggies (recipes below).

The other 2 girls brought Lasagna (always delicious!) and Baked Ziti (with hamburger and spinach!) - if I happen to get these recipes, I'll add these to the list.

It's been such a relief to have something completely ready-to-go in the freezer and just need to take it out to thaw in the AM and pop in the oven after work. As you all know, I LOVE to cook, but I certainly love a good homemade, effortless meal!

Are you a freezer-meal guru? Share your secrets!

Creamy Ham & Noodle Casserole
10 cups uncooked shell pasta
6 celery ribs, thinly sliced
3 smallish peppers, chopped (I used red, green, and yellow.)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter, cubed
3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
3 cups milk (I used powdered milk b/c it's more cost-effective and you can't taste the difference in a casserole)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 cup crushed saltines

Cook pasta, set aside. Saute celery, peppers and onion in butter, add soup, milk, salt, pepper. Combine soup mixture with ham and mushrooms. Mix with pasta. Top with cracker crumbs. Cook, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25mins. Or freeze.

This recipe is HUGE. I got 4 8x8 pans out of it. 


Cheesy Chicken & Rice with Veggies
Sauté 1 chopped onion in 1 tbsp. butter

Add to sautéed onion:
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can Cr. of Mushroom soup
1 1/2 can chicken broth (I measured 1 1/2 can by using the soup can)
1 cup cut up velvetta cheese

Cook until smooth.

Cook 3 cups minute rice. 
Steam 1 bunch broccoli (I used a bag of [thawed] frozen stirfry veggies and it worked just as well). 
Cut up 2 cups cooked chicken.

Stir broccoli, rice, and chicken into sauce and season with pepper (I used 2-3tsp of pepper).

Pour into greased 9x13 pan. (This also makes a TON. I put it into 3 8x8 pans and froze 2 of them.) Bake for 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees, covered with foil to keep it moist.


No comments:

Post a Comment