Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013: In Review

In addition to loving our city and growing deeper friendships with people here in KC, here are the highlights of our year:


January: We entered 2013 by finishing up our 10-day South Dakota holiday with a ski trip in the Black Hills. We loved our time with family and friends, and it was bittersweet returning to the new city we'd grown to love. I did some freezer meal baking and exchanging with friends, and wondered why I didn't do it more often. Jordan first brought up wanting to quit med school, and my reaction was not everything a loving wife's should be. And Jordan studied like a crazy person.

February: A Pampered Chef mini-conference brought me and a friend to St. Louis for the weekend, where we got inspired to build our businesses (and then I didn't do much with it). My calendar says I spent a lot of time at the gym, eating out, spending time with med school friends and working like a crazy person (crazy, because I was trying to find a new job, as the current one was making me crazy).  And Jordan studied like a crazy person.

March: We spent the first weekend at a cabin in central Iowa with 4 couple friends from Northwestern. This was our 2nd yearly trip together, and we hope to do it again in 2014. I traveled back to SD for my high school best friend's baby shower and to help my sister plan her wedding. We experienced our first (and last) "med school prom" and I enjoyed my last days at QM and my first few days at Woodruff Sweitzer. We celebrated 3 years of marriage, and continue to grow more thankful for each other. And Jordan studied like a crazy person.

Happy 3rd Anniversary!

April: Other than Jordan's birthday, this month was pretty uneventful as I got adjusted with my new job. Jordan's mom came to visit over her birthday weekend; we enjoyed a spa day together while Jordan studied like a crazy person.

May: My driving foot got pretty tired this month, when I made 2 solo trips back to SD for 2 bridal showers for Kay and her bachelorette party. And Jordan studied like a crazy person.

The sisters, at Kay's bachelorette party.

June: This was the summer of weddings for us - we went to Jordan's cousin's wedding in Amana, IA and my sister's wedding back in SD. I traveled for work to the Pacific Northwest and climbed on top of a huge potato pile. Mom came to visit us and we potted a whole bunch of plants for the patio, I went to a fabulous women's conference at our church, and Jordan took a break from studying like a crazy person and continued to wrestle with quitting med school. God really prepared my heart, as I secretly was hoping he wouldn't continue (but wanted him to make his own decision, so kept that opinion to myself).

Our growing family!
You may have eaten a potato that I stood on.

July: Jordan decide to NOT study like a crazy person anymore! We met with the dean, and officially withdrew from medical school. Much rejoicing happened all around. We went back to SD for another friend's wedding, and spent a weekend at a bed and breakfast near Lawrence, KS to celebrate our third anniversary. 

Picnic lunch, during our bed and breakfast weekend.

August: My sister and her hubby visited us and enjoyed our sweltering KC summer weather. I traveled to Memphis for client planning meetings with the rest of my team, we also spent a morning at Graceland while there. I made a bittersweet trip back to SD for a friend's bachelorette party and a funeral. Jordan started classes at UMKC, and is pursuing a master's in computer programming, expected completion: August 2016.

Caitlin and I in Memphis, enjoying Beale Street after a day of client meetings.

September: After a crazy busy summer (we were either gone or had visitors 8 out of 13 weekends), we kept September pretty boring. We celebrated my birthday, took a class on the Theology of Beauty at church, played sand volleyball, had friends over for dinner, and enjoyed spending time with our gospel community. I got a new boss, 3 new accounts, and more leadership opportunities at work. Jordan and I started the 9-week membership class at church.

Hubby made my favorite beet salad for dinner. So. Good.
Also, note the cleverly placed wine glasses that tell my age.

October: Mom visited and we went antiquing for hours. I spent a wonderful weekend in Omaha with 3 of my dearest girlfriends from SF, all of whom were probably more excited to be kid-free for the weekend than they were to be with me ;) We're hoping to make this a yearly trip, as well. I spent a day with my 2 aunts shopping till we dropped at the KC Holiday Mart.

Girls' weekend in Omaha.

November: We spent a getaway weekend at a friends' house (from our community group) where we enjoyed fellowship with our friends, I spent an afternoon making bread and we both did some target practice with a handgun. A friend/former co-worker from Sioux Falls was in town for work, so I spent 2 lovely evenings catching up with her - I'm always wishing her and I could work together again! We went home for Thanksgiving and had an early celebration for mom and dad's 30th wedding anniversary. We can only hope that in 30 years we'll have as great a legacy as they are leaving for all of us.

Out with our friends from community group, who we sadly didn't take a photo with.

December: This month flew by, with only 2 weekends at home before returning to SD for the rest of 2013. We spent one weekend in Columbia, MO for my work retreat and work holiday party, where they wined and dined us and also got hotel rooms for everyone in the company. To say I think my job is fabulous would be an understatement. We left for SD on the 21st and crammed in as much time with friends and family as possible, it was bittersweet being home - we love the fellowship we have in SF and are sad that we can't continue to invest in our friends/family there each week, but we're so thankful for the friendships that have been growing here in KC, too. We, again, spent a weekend skiing, and again, came home with no broken bones (only sore muscles). 

WS Holiday Party

2013 brought many changes, and was good to us. We're excited for 2014 and have resolved to spend more time at the gym and less time spending $$. (Don't we all want to do those things?) We're thankful for how richly God has continued to bless us, are thankful that He sent His Son, and that we have God's unending grace and love to sustain us through each day. We hope you're thankful for the same things, and that He continues to reveal more of Himself to you and us in the coming year!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment