Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Green Bean and Potato Soup

This was one of my favorite soups growing up - all of us kids loved it, in fact. I've tweaked mom's recipe a bit to be my own, and Jordan and I really enjoy this soup in the chilly fall and winter months.

Green Bean and Potato Soup
2 cups ham, cubed (or I've used smoked turkey, and it was delicious)
1 pint green beans, drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 onion
carrots (I usually have 10-15 of those pre-peeled large baby carrots)
potatoes (4-5 medium potatoes)

Cut up onion, carrots, and potatoes and let simmer for 15-20 mins in 1 tbsp butter. Stir in 1-2 tbsp flour. Season with pepper. Add chicken broth and simmer for 15 mins.

In a separate pan, make a roux by melting 2 tbsp butter, then whisk in 2 tbsp flour. Slowly add 1 3/4 cup milk - the roux will start to get chunky, so it's important to add the milk slowly and keep whisking the entire time. This should make your broth nice and smooth.

Add milk mixture to veggie mixture (make sure it isn't boiling), then add 2 cups ham and 1 pint green beans.

Stir and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment