Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The White Coat Ceremony



 

Thursday the 9th was the KCUMB White Coat Ceremony where all the MSIs (med student 1 - 1st year students - 1st years) received their first white coat as they embarked on their journey to become doctors. It's a very high-class, almost sober, ceremony. The students wore suits (without suit coats, since they got their white coats) or black dresses and had the opportunity to be coated by a physician of their choosing (such as a family member, close friend, etc - the person just had to be an MD or a DO). Jordan asked my uncle Pat, who lives on base nearby, to coat him. We had a lovely evening, followed by a fantastic reception put on by KCUMB. The speakers at the ceremony were excellent, and if you have time, I'd encourage you to watch the ceremony. Jordan is in one of the 1st 5 rows (I think) to be coated, so he's right near the beginning of the coating. Many thanks to the fabulous Aunt Kathy who took all these photos for me. You all know how terrible I am with getting pictures for you all to see...without her, you'd be stuck with words again, and for this post, that'd be WAY boring.


Jordan's mom, brother and I, ready to leave for the ceremony!
Lisa and I waiting for the ceremony to begin.
Jordan being "coated" by Uncle Pat - Jordan is the last guy, next to the girls, at the end.

Jordan's first moments officially coated - he's on the screen in this pic, too.
The class of 2016 repeating the Oath of Commitment (below). Jordan is in the center of the screen.
As I embark upon the study of osteopathic medicine at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences’ College of Osteopathic Medicine, I will enter into a relationship of mutual respect with my teachers and my colleagues to enhance the learning environment and gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes of an exemplary physician. 

I accept responsibility only for those matters for which I am competent, maintaining the trust expected of a physician. 

I will be ever cognizant of the human and medical needs of each patient acknowledging that healing also involves the spirit and that a physician must exemplify humane, holistic and compassionate care. 

I will value the knowledge and wisdom of the physicians who have preceded me and endeavor to contribute to this tradition. 

I will recognize my strengths and my weaknesses and strive to develop those qualities that will earn the respect of my patients, my colleagues, my family and myself. 

I will continue this learning throughout all the days of my life. 


Audrey and Josh, two of our new and dearest friends here in KC!
After the ceremony, we went to a reception at the Muehlebach Tower in the Marriott in downtown KC. Talk about wow. They had musicians playing - a banjo and fiddle (mabye? It was "country" music, or maybe bluegrass would be a better term) - the centerpieces were things like tumbleweeds, sprigs of cotton, wheat, corn stalks and other things that would say "rural" or "country". It was beautiful. And the food. So delicious. It was heavy hors d' oeuvres; everything was a small portion so everything could be enjoyed. The traditional veggies and dipping sauce, yellow watermelon made an appearance here, corn fritters, fried green beans (amazing), mini chicken pot pies, braised short rib (omgosh. so. good.), mashed potatoes with parsnip (and I thought I loved mashed potatoes before), potato wedges (with sour cream, cheese and bacon), mini pulled pork sandwiches, root beer floats, brownie truffles, apple pastry, pineapple upside down cake...I'm sure I'm missing something...but it was fabulous. KCUMB did an amazing job. It really made this all so real!

No comments:

Post a Comment