Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Time Flies When You're...

...BUSY. That pretty much sums up the past two weeks. Here's what we've been up to:

Jordan: MEDICAL SCHOOL                                                                                      
Yes. It deserves all caps. It's pretty much the ONLY thing he's been doing. Right now, he's locked away in our 2nd bedroom (aka his office) studying away for his midterm tomorrow. I know - he's only had 2 weeks of class and he already has a midterm!? Yes. Ridiculous. KCUMB blocks are 4 weeks long - after the 1st 2 weeks you have a midterm, after the 4th week you have the final. EEK. Jordan likened med school to being accustomed to always drinking out of a water fountain and now you're expected to drink out of a waterfall. All the time. I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you how much he LOVES it. He's still so excited. Stressed, but excited. Life is good.

Betsy                                                                                                                            
I've been up to far more than one thing (unlike the hubby), so here's my quick list:

Quartermaster Marketing
I can't foresee a time that I'll EVER be bored here. Reminds me of my days at VC...but better, lol. Basically, this year-and-a-half-old ad agency has been run by creatives until now. (I say until now, b/c I started 2 weeks ago and a very experienced account director started 1 week ago - I've already decided that I'm going to be a power team with him...likened to the days of the DD & Betsy team...but not as awesome as the two of us together, of course.) There's not much in place for processes or prioritization or organization or...well...you get the picture. There's a lot to do and I'm ready to do it. It's stressful, but it's good. The worst part is the 40-min commute in the AM b/c of rush hour traffic...in "normal" traffic, it only takes 15-20mins to get to the office.

While at work, the team has also been taken out twice by our boss as a Welcome lunch for Jeff and I. I picked Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop for my welcome lunch and enjoyed splitting Thai Lettuce wraps with chicken served with carrots, bean sprouts and red cabbage ($7.99). It came with a peanuty sauce. They were delicious, but after the mess I made with my very first ever attempt at eating a lettuce wrap (and seeing how skillfully the other 3 girls enjoyed theirs) I didn't opt to tackle it a 2nd time. At my co-workers recommendation, I chose the lunch special Drunken Noodles ($7.69) (Chicken, wide rice noodles wok-tossed with Thai basil, peanuts, bean sprouts, scallions, Chinese broccoli, lemongrass, green and red bell peppers and egg). While delicious, I think I'd try something else my next time there. 

This past week we went to Manny's Mexican Restaurant and I wasn't impressed at all. I ordered the Fish Tacos ($8): Corn tortilla stuffed with breaded cod fillet and topped with lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream & longhorn cheese, served with your choice of beans or rice. Not delicious. And my first one wasn't spicy (which is how I like it) and my second one was full of jalapenos (so I couldn't eat it). And the salsa that came with the chips at the beginning tasted just like...marinara. I'm not kidding. Don't go here. Nothing about it impressed me.

The Other Half
The Other Half is the name of the KCUMB spouse/partner group (and I came up with the name!) and I helped with our table at the KCUMB Activities Fair. We had cookies for the med students and we passed out flyers about our upcoming picnic. I met a couple new med student wives and saw a lot of the med students that I'd already met. Afterwards, I met Jordan in the student lounge for dinner.

Redeemer Fellowship Community Picnic
Because KC is so big, our church had 4 picnics around the KC area. Our community picnic was about 5mins from our apartment and I was debating on going because I was going to have to go alone...I'm sure glad I did! I met 2 other couples around our age and live within a few mins of us, and the girls took my phone number down to (hopefully!) get together in the future. A 2nd-year's wife also introduced herself to me; she lives super close to us and I was excited to find another med student wife so close by.

Babysitting
Last Saturday I watched 2 adorable boys (4yrs and 5months) while their mom photographed a wedding at Union Station and their dad studied for his midterm (the 2nd years had their midterm last week Monday). We played lots of catch, pirates, school bus, board games, iPad, read books...I was exhausted at the end of the day. Four-year-olds NEVER run out of energy!

Oh - before I babysat, I met up with Deanna at Burrito Brothers to meet her boys. Think Qdoba or Chipotle, but better. So delicious. I'd go definitely here again.

Pampered Chef
I had 4 online/Facebook shows this month and made over $300! All of my hosts got $25 free, 20% off anything in the catalog and 1 item (or set) at 50% off. Plus the August host special on knives AND 3 colorful fall products for FREE ($26.50 value). I'm still trying to book stuff for September, so if you want to do an easy online show, let me know!

Cooking
I've been cooking up a storm! BBQ pork shepard's pie, pork roast with potatoes and carrots, thai peanut chicken stirfry, sweet & sour shrimp stirfry, deviled eggs, creamed cucumbers...next up is buffalo chicken lasagna!

SD Friends
Thank goodness for FaceTime! I've been able to catch up with 5 different friends from home - phone conversations are great, but you really feel like you're right there with them when you can see their face!

KC Friends
Audrey works weekends and evenings, which means we don't have much of a chance to spend time together...boo. On one of the evenings she wasn't working, she came over for a bit to catch up and enjoy a good glass of wine. We let our hubbies stay focused on their studies at the school.

Jordan & Betsy Dates!                                                                                      
We may be busy, but we made time for a few dates!

Affare
White linen tableclothes. Cloth napkins. Dimmed lights. We didn't know how fancy it was going to be when we bought this Groupon a couple months ago! Our Groupon included 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrees and 1 dessert. The only thing that wasn't mentioned on the Groupon or on the restaurant's website was that this was a SMALL plate restaurant. Hm. That would have been nice to know. (and, you'll notice it IS now listed on their website.) We decided to order one other thing since it's probably going to be the only time we're at this place...aka...out of budget. But, the food was phenomenal. Not joking. We totally recommend it for a fancy date night. Be prepared to spend $80-$100 if you're going for wine, dinner, dessert. You also get a bread basket of fresh homemade pretzels and butter and a tray of olives (kalamata and green). Our server brought us seconds of both.

Believe it or not, we took some pics.
Lump Crab Salad in a roasted red pepper roulade, frisee lettuce, madras curry paint  $15
Yum. This was the "extra" entree we ordered - so, it was the only thing we had to pay for outside the Groupon.

Seafood Allerlei in liaison with lemon risotto  $15
Salmon (2-3 small bites), halibut
(2-3 small bites), 1 shrimp and 1/2 scallop
This was the perfect size for me - risotto is filling, and I tend to not be able to eat my whole
entree when it's ginormous. And, this was fabulous. Out of this world fabulous. I'd pay $15 to eat this again.

Slow-Roasted Wacholderbeeren rubbed Elkloin, bing cherry sauce, Butterspätzle  $16
This wasn't my favorite, mostly because I don't like meat all that much, but Jordan really, really enjoyed this.

German Guglhupf with Raspberries and Woodruff, yogurt mousse and Grand Marnier  8Yum. So delicious. But next time I'd opt to try a different dessert...mostly because this one was so small and our waitress had told us that some of the desserts are "as big as your face". 

Blue Koi
Only one other person from our class at Tri-Valley lives in KC...which is actually pretty unusual that even ONE other person does, considering there were only 64 people in our class. Matt suggested we meet up for dinner and we were more than happy to go wherever he recommended. We met in Midtown at Blue Koi - and it was worth the wait (about 30-45mins for a table). Matt and his girlfriend Isha, and Jordan and I split 2 delicious appetizers: pics courtesy of the Blue Koi website.


Crispy Tofu with Spicy Awesome Sauce $5
Lightly sauteed dumplings with chicken, pork and shrimp. $6.50
 The "Awesome Sauce" with the tofu really IS awesome. I'd definitely order that again. The dumplings weren't my fav, but they topped everybody else's list and I definitely didn't think they were bad - I ate two!

Fire Bird Duck:  Boneless roast duck sautéed with chili pepper, scallion and bamboo strips.  $13
This was Jordan's entree and unfortunately he wasn't very happy with it. The sauce had a ... bad ... flavor. I don't know what it was, but I tried it too and didn't care for the taste.

I had Chicken with Chinese Curry Sauce ($13):  Ginger, onion, mushroom, snow peas pods and fresh basil sautéed with sesame oil till fragrant, then simmered in lightly spicy Chinese curry sauce. No pic for this on the website. It was fantastic! So, so good. I ate it for lunch again the next day. Yuuuum.

We had a really great time and before we knew it, it was after 9! Jordan had to get back to studying, so we called it a night and plan to get together again in the future.

The Other Half Picnic
It was raining last night, so the picnic turned out to be an indoor event at KCUMB. The turnout was GREAT and I met even more med student wives. Dinner was bbq from Dickey's, so Jordan got to cross another bbq place off his list. He studied in the library while I visited. I'm looking forward to more of these events!
And this was AFTER lots of people had left! 
_______________________________________________________________________________

That's the rundown of the past two weeks! I wasn't kidding about being busy! (I also cleaned the apartment from top to bottom...floors and everything [Okay, not everything...I didn't dust....] in anticipation of my parents coming to visit next weekend. If you know my mom, and many of you do, she cleans the ENTIRE HOUSE from top to bottom every week (and yes, she DOES dust), so I wanted to have an equally...erm....sort of...clean apartment for when they visited. I also went grocery shopping, did the laundry and a few other errands. And uncle Pat & aunt Kathy (& Greta!) took me out to dinner at Em Chamas Brazilian Grill - talk about spoiled!

Okay, friends and family. I'm going to try to blog more than once every two weeks...it took me two hours by the time I rounded up pics, looked up websites, etc... And I probably don't have any readers that read on through this entire ridiculously long post! I'll try to do better. It'd probably be easier for everyone!

And I didn't even blog about church - GAH! Church has really been FAB these past few weeks...but I've GOT to work on some other things yet today, so maybe church will get a post all on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment