Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Counting Down the Days...

...till we get to home home for the holiday!! So excited. Only 3 more days!!

We've been excellent, as always, at keeping ourselves busy. My fabulous hubby has been studying away (as usual) - this time for his midterm (tomorrow) and his practical (Wednesday). Prayers are appreciated!

I met up with some Emily and Rachel from church on Monday evening at Caribou for some welcome girl time. I'd had an...unpleasant...day at work and left our coffee date feeling refreshed. So thankful for these girls!

I spent Tuesday evening babysitting for some friends who were in a pinch. Their boys are so good I never mind helping them out! The most notable thing that happened was when it was time to read Haven a bedtime story, I grabbed the first book out of the library bag: The Book That Eats People. He freaked. Apparently he'd already read it with mom and was terrified. I read it after he went to bed. Yes. It was terrifying. Literally, a book about a book that devours people. Not a cute book. A disturbing book. Parents, don't read this one to your kids. (I should note that his mom had the same reaction I did to the book - who would write that for kids!? Who puts that in the kids' section of the library?!)

Wednesday I woke up with pink eye (I'm like an elementary school kid or something) and, completely unrelated to the eye trouble, could barely get out of bed (or stand, sit, walk, lay down...you get the picture) b/c of TERRIBLE back/neck pain. Thankfully, because of the pink eye, my boss told me to work from home. So I did. And got eye drops for my eye. And iced my back/neck. And waited for hubby to come home and work his med school magic. The next day I was 70% better. Today I'm 99.9% better. Hurray for no more chiro visits! He said since he's a student right now, he can only work on special people. And I'm the only special one. (Just in case anyone else wanted to get in on his student skillzzzz.)

Gospel Community Group was Thursday evening. We discussed Philippians 2...and I was mentally exhausted from work and a little physically exhausted from remaining neck/back pain...and was thus a poor participant, in my opinion. One thought that stuck with me is how you can't just stay where you are in your faith - if you don't work on it, it doesn't stay the same, it diminishes, like a relationship would if you stopped investing in it. It wouldn't just plateau, it would become less. The same goes with our relationship with God. We can't just expect to ride on the wave of that last great conference, or last year's great biblestudy, etc. We have to invest in Him each and every day.

Friday, I got off work at 2:30 to prepare for my Dessert & Wine Pampered Chef party. I had 11 med student wives over and had four dessert stations set up. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures...gah. I thought of it before, mom reminded me before, annnnnd then I promptly forgot, until there were only 3 of us left cleaning up dishes. We split up into teams of 2-3 and made German Chocolate Lava Cake, Apple Berry Salsa, Caramel Apple Dessert Duo (couldn't find this one online to link to: it's an apple-cranberry "salsa" with a peanut-butter-cream cheese-caramel dip), and Apple Bundles. Then we enjoyed conversation over wine and desserts! I have such fab friends that they even helped me clean up the entire party, right down to washing the dishes and helping unload the dishwasher and loading it again! Thanks again, girls!

Saturday was my reupholstery adventure...be sure to take a look at the pics! So happy about how this turned out!

Today church was over 1 Corinthians 10:23-11:1 - focusing on vs. 31: "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." We should ask ourselves "Why?" and "What does that look like?" when we read that verse. Here's the boiled down version of an excellent sermon:

  • Why: Because God is the most glorious being in the all the universe. Everything in the universe exists for God's glory. I exist soley for God's glory.
  • What does that look like: In everything we do, we need to be focused on maximizing God, not ourselves. So at work that might look like not always making sure we get credit for absolutely everything we do or it might be evaluating whether we're laboring for God or for money.
That's the close of the week! I'm excited for 2.5 days of work and then 3 days at home! Enjoy Thanksgiving and your families!

No comments:

Post a Comment