Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Who You Know

As much as any young person hates to hear this...sometimes getting connected with (not simply "getting") a job really is all about who you know.

Unless you've talked with me personally or have talked with my mom, you probably hadn't heard that my job  wasn't as fabulous as I thought it was going to be. In fact, I could see how...challenging...it was going to be by my 2nd day on the job.

And that's all I'll say about that on this here little blog. Suffice to say I needed a new job.

And one landed in my lap.

Just kidding.

It went something much more like this...

Back in November, I applied for this studio manager job with a photographer:


  • Location: Kansas City, MO
  • Position Type: Full time
  • To Apply: Send your resume and an explanation of why you think you'd be perfect for the position to inquiries@_.com. No phone calls, no drive bys and no social media stalking unless you don't want to be considered.
  • Job Description, Requirements for Consideration, etc.:
    Are you:
    • organized
    • thorough
    • good at making things happen
    • a person who makes connections with others easily
    • knows that the client's needs are never "too much to ask"
    • good at juggling multiple projects and not dropping any?
    If you said yes to those questions and still kept reading then here are some more you should be able to shake your head yes to as well…
    • Do you like dogs?
    • Do you appreciate sarcasm and a British sense of humor?
    • Are you creative?
    • Are your mind reading skills above average?
    • Are you skilled at always being one step ahead of the curve?
    • Are you self-motivated?
    • Still reading this?
    OK then, over achiever, here's what the day to day responsibilities are:
    1. Respond to all client inquiries for ______.
    2. Sell the photography services of ______ utilizing the existing marketing materials and pricing specifications.
    3. Perform production services for photoshoots - including, but not limited to scheduling assistants, stylists, craft services, talent, booking travel, procuring props.
    4. Continually evaluate and improve the preferred vendor list of ______.
    5. Continually evaluate and improve the marketing materials of ______.
    Position provides a base plus commission pay structure of approximately $35,000-$45,000 per year. There is also expense reimbursement and a cell phone stipend.
  • For More Information: If you are still interested in speaking with us further about the position, please send your resume and an explanation of why you think you'd be perfect for the position to inquiries@_.com. No phone calls, no drive bys and no social media stalking unless you don't want to be considered.
  • Posted: 10.05.2012


  • With this cover letter: 
    To Whom It May Concern at __________:

    I'll admit, I was a little intimidated by your posting on aafkc.com. It really all seems like a lot to ask out of one person.

    Just kidding. 

    I've worked in ad agencies for the past 4+ years and my favorite parts were ensuring that my clients were responded to in a timely fashion (to me, that means within the hour) and that my clients were happy. I've also been told by numerous people that I have an uncanny ability to keep about a million plates all spinning at the same time (not literally, though). And, it's true that in the past, one of my managers recommended me for a higher position because I "get s*** done". 

    Also. I'm a woman, which means my mind-reading skills must be above average (and I have a husband, which means I get extra practice with the whole mind-reading thing [and he's so sarcastic that sometimes I'm like his walking disclaimer]). 

    If there's one thing I am, it's self-motivated and driven (okay, that's two). But seriously. I've got a positive, can-do attitude that is invaluable at any company. (Who wants to work with a negative nancy anyway?)

    I'd love to talk more about how I can help the team. (Okay, and I'd really love to come and play with the dogs, too...I'm far too frugal to pay the $200 pet deposit at our apartment complex.)

    It looks like you all have a lot of fun. And that's how work should be - productive, driven...and fun.

    Hope to hear from you soon!


    Which impressed the photographer enough to give me a phone interview. And then he wanted a 2nd, in-person interview. And then I turned him down b/c he didn't offer health insurance. (That's like $500/month if you want an individual plan with maternity!) And then, he still wanted to meet me to see if he could help me find a job that was a good fit.

    So we had drinks, back in November, and he got me connected with his friend who was a copywriter at an ad agency. She and I met up for lunch near our offices, and I impressed her enough that she contacted her friend at one of the two big ad agencies in KC and asked her to bring me in for an interview. So she did. Now we're into the beginning of January.

    The interview went great! I loved the agency and thought it'd be an awesome place to work. And then they gave the job to someone with retail experience. I had none, so I could understand that. AND THEN. The friend was impressed enough to recommend me to her boss, the VP of the account team at said big ad agency, so HE brought me in for an interview. And told me I was the right material for their company, but there weren't any openings right now. He promised to keep me in mind. 

    I checked in a week later and got a cool-ish, generic response, and was a little disheartened. I kept searching out other opportunities. AND THEN. At the beginning of February, said VP sends me an email and says he's recommended me to a recruiter and that I should contact them the next day. 

    So I did. The recruiter and I had a great phone call that same day and when she heard that I had AGRICULTURE in my background, she thought she had the perfect opportunity for me. 

    I did some sleuthing (okay, a lot of sleuthing) and I could find no one who would say anything bad about this ag ad agency. So I felt cautiously excited about it. Due to all the crazy snow in KC, my interview got rescheduled a couple times and finally happened on Monday, February 25th. It went great. And I remained hopeful. I knew if this wasn't the place for me, God wouldn't offered me a job here, so I didn't want to be too excited. But I was really excited. But kept it in check. 

    Later that week, I got a call from my recruiter that they wanted a SECOND interview. On the following Monday, March 4th. So I went. I met more of the team. The team interviewed me. And I was really excited.  One of them had said something about "that's why it takes us so long to hire people"...so I was preparing myself to wait weeks to hear. 

    And two days later my recruiter called me. I got the job. EEEEEEEE!!! I think I texted Jordan about 50 billion times because I was so excited. Okay. Maybe more like 5 or 10. But you get the picture.

    I start Monday, March 25th as the newest Account Executive at Woodruff Sweitzer. I wouldn't have guessed 3 years ago that I was an ag girl, but having been out of it for a couple years now, I've really missed it and can't wait to get back into it.

    I'm pretty ridiculously excited to start. 

    But the moral of this story is network network network. I got connected with this job b/c I impressed a guy, who knew a girl, who had a friend, who had a boss, who knew a recruiter, who was looking for account people. RIDICULOUS. And awesome. 

    Note that it's not only about who you know...you still have to sell yourself and be the person with the right qualifications and personality for the job...but knowing the right people definitely puts you in the right place!

    And...it's all in God's good timing. And it was good. And He is always good. 


  • 2 comments:

    1. Betts, this is such a good post! Am going to e-save it...and send it on to nieces and nephews, as they begin the Great Challenge of the Job Hunt. The moral of the story sentence...positively rocks. Happy for you! Blessing--Kt

      ReplyDelete