Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

March Grocery Spending

You're not going to believe how little we spent on groceries this month, so before we get to that, keep these things in mind:
  • We spent the 1st weekend in March at a cabin with friends, and I bought those groceries in February.
  • I went home to SD for 4 days. (Thanks, momma, for feeding me!)
  • We ate out 3 meals because we had Groupons that were expiring. 
  • I ate lunch out 2 times with my QM girls.  
  • WS bought me lunch 4 times. 
  • A new networking friend treated me to lunch.
  • I treated a different networking friend to lunch.
  • I used an expiring Groupon for dinner out with a friend.
  • We ate a catered meal at Follies
  • Jordan used a Christmas gift card on Buffalo Wild Wings. 
  • A couple from our church group treated us to dinner to celebrate my new job. 
  • I ate dinner at a Women's Shelter that the med student wives volunteered to bring a meal to.
  • Jordan's favorite bbq place is closing (b/c the owner has cancer), so he treated himself to that once and we ate that for dinner once. 
So. That's A LOT of meals that we either ate out (I'm honestly kind of embarrassed looking at that big list!), were treated to, or were just gone. 

We spent $68.29 on groceries this month. Here's what we got:

4 gallons of milk
8 single-serving yogurts
2 loaf bread
3 8oz bricks of cheese
2lbs of carrots
7.83lbs of oranges
1 pineapple
1 bunch bananas
1lb frozen brussel sprouts
dozen eggs
croutons (on sale for $0.99)
devils food cake (on sale for $0.99)
1 pizza crust mix (on sale for $0.38)
24oz ketchup (on sale for $0.98)
1 can tomato soup (on sale for $0.38) 
2 boxes ice cream (on sale for $1.68 each; about the only time we buy ice cream - cookie dough for me; tin roof sundae for Jordan)
2 cans northern beans (for the soup dinner at the women's shelter)
2 cans green chiles (for the soup dinner at the women's shelter)
8oz sour cream (for the soup dinner at the women's shelter)
1 bunch cilantro (for our weekend at the cabin)
bacon cheddar focaccia bread (for our weekend at the cabin)
2 bags chips (for our weekend at the cabin)

I didn't keep perfect track of our meals this month (or much track at all), but we didn't eat anything too fancy - just what was in the freezer/pantry:
  • Tomato soup and grilled sandwiches
  • Spaghetti and garlic bread
  • Eggs, toast and sausage
  • Bridgewater sausage, corn and green beans
  • Salmon and mashed potatoes
  • Bacon-wrapped deer steak with potatoes 
  • Leftovers from eating out
  • Leftover Taco Soup from our weekend at the cabin
  • A $2 frozen pizza or two
  • Polished off the last 2 of the freezer meals
I believe I mentioned this a few posts ago, but this month I completely avoided the sales ad and only bought things that we needed (those couple sales things were the last ad from February that I bought in March). I had a freezer FULL of food (and still do) and am trying to eat/cook as much as we can without buying more. I'll probably do the same thing in April...we seriously have a lot of food.

What's your standby meal when you don't have time to plan dinner or get it ready beforehand? Do you decide that means it's time to go out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment