Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Celebrating the 4th...Military Style

For the first time ever, I missed out on the 4th of July with my family. For those of you that know my mom, she loves having guests over. Every 4th of July, mom and dad invite family, friends and neighbors over for swimming, a pork loin (thanks to uncle Paul for providing it!) supper and fireworks (although, they may not have done that this year because of how dry it is). Family is a big deal on both my mom and dad's side and all of us cousins feel the same way, so it was strange and a little sad to miss out this year.

Not that we didn't have our own fun though. A few groups of med students were doing different things (grilling out, going to City Market to watch the fireworks, etc) but we opted to be with the bit of family we DO have around here.

My aunt and uncle live on base about 30mins away from KC. Jordan and I arrived mid-afternoon and spent a rousing afternoon playing Settlers of Catan (in which cousin Mary beat us all!) and then uncle Pat grilled burgers and potato wedges to go with corn on the cob, beans and coleslaw. It was a fine 4th feast if I do say so myself. After dinner Pat, Mary, Jordan and I (the rest of the family was out of town) played Empire Builder...or actually, just started it, we're returning on Saturday to finish out the game. These people (and my hubby!) love strategy games! They're not my forte (isn't a game supposed to be fun!?...the non-hard-thinking type of fun...haha) but I did catch on after a bit and am actually enjoying it. I won't be the winner, but losing in board games doesn't bother me much.

We walked down to the base golf course to watch their firework display and it was huge. For a while there I felt like the fireworks were going 3D on me and coming right in at us...if that makes any sense, haha. It was really cool - and the crowd was huge. Hundreds, I think. I've never watched fireworks with that many people, and it was interesting to think about that all THESE people in the crowd and on base were the ones we had to thank for our continued freedom.

Thanks to Pat and Mary for the wonderful holiday - we're sure thankful to live close to you guys! Missed all of you back home, we hope you had a wonderful 4th!

The military actually does a lot of other stuff that we didn't go to to celebrate the 4th. They had food vendors, air bouncy things for kids, they shoot off the cannon 50 times (once for each state and people from those states cheer as the cannon goes off) and they had band(s?) playing, too. (not like a marching band, but a country band, on stage) The 4th is a BIG celebration on base. 

No comments:

Post a Comment