Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Settling In

This week was a little more laid back than the first two weeks...guess we can't go on exploring like crazy forever!

We finished our puzzle and started another one. We've watched a few movies, including The Pianist, about a Polish pianist during WWII living in the Warsaw ghetto. It was a wonderful and heartbreaking story (as all movies about WWII are). I've always been particularly interested in that part of history. When I was younger I read Anne Frank's Diary, Corrie TenBoom's The Hiding Place and so many more that I can't even remember them all. My parents took us kids to the Holocaust museum in Washington, DC when I was in middle school and during a trip in college, I visited Auschwitz and saw firsthand where so many suffered and lost their lives. Someday, I'd like to see the Anne Frank museum and Corrie TenBoom house. 

We ventured out - briefly - to see Zona Rosa, a large, outdoor shopping complex a few minutes from our apartment. It was much too hot to explore very long, so we split an iced chia and meandered back to our car. On the way, we stopped at Heavenly Olive Oils & Vinegars and were pleasantly surprised at what a cool little shop it was. You can sample the olive oils and can even mix them together. We tried a delicious cinnamon pear vinegar mixed with blood orange olive oil. So. Good. The shop owner was there - a woman in her early 30s or later 20s - and we had a great visit with her. We're hoping to return and buy some special olive oils and vinegars (after I get a job and we don't have to be quite as cautious with the budget). 

Tuesday evening we had dinner with some new friends (the couple from SD, whose wife sells PC and the husband is a med student with Jordan) at their home. They have nine children (ages 13 months to almost 15yrs) and it was so fun to be around them - reminded me of family gatherings and made me miss home a bit since we're probably missing out on some of that! They fed us a fabulous dinner of steak, onion and tomato kabobs, a warm potato salad (so, so good), and cut up fresh fruit. We seem to have a lot in common (including the same birthday months, weird) and had a really great time getting to know them better. 

This is the entrance to the museum - a glass "bridge"
over a field of 9,000 poppies. Each poppy represents
1,000 WWI deaths - 9 million deaths total.
An afternoon at the National World War I museum wasn't nearly long enough. If you read everything available, I'm certain you could spend at least 2 full days there. We went with another med student and his fiance (Weston and Nicole) and enjoyed getting to know them a little better. There was a lot I didn't know about WWI, and I feel like I was just able to scratch the surface when we visited the museum. There were 9 million deaths in this war. I'm sure I learned something about this war in high school during American History (and before?) but I honestly don't remember that much about it. Some of the things that they talked about as reasons that the war started sounded eerily similar to things that are happening today in our world. Is history destined to repeat itself because we've forgotten the past?

(awkward transition here)



For dinner, Weston, Nicole, Jordan and I tried out another bbq place - Smokin' Guns. Jordan and I opted to split the Combo Platter ($14.95) which comes with 3 baby back ribs (teensy ribs), 2 meats of our choice (we got burnt ends, which counts as both meat options....they were TOTALLY worth it though. Delicious.), and 1 side (we got sweet potato fries). Everything was delicious, but it still didn't beat Bear's BBQ that we enjoyed last week - more meat, better sauce... If you watch the food network, you might recognize Smokin' Guns BBQ from Diners, Dives and Drive-thrus, they were featured last year as some of the best bbq in KC.

I went out again, the next day, for lunch at Andre's with a Pampered Chef upline. First, about the restaurant. This is a little french bistro with a bakery in the front - a sweets bakery. There were so, so many delicious things ... I know I'll be returning here with Jordan. Lunch is one price - $15.40 with tax - and each day has 2 options plus Quiche Lorraine & Cheese Pie, which are served daily. We both ordered Croute Zurichoise, which is toasted French bread topped with tomato, melted cheese & mushroom sauce. So. Good. It also came with a little lettuce salad and pickled beets on the side. (and I do certainly love beets) Dessert comes with your meal and they bring a cute little tray out with 6 or 8 options - I got an almond paste wrapped something delicious. 

Now, a brief blurb about my Pampered Chef meeting. It was SO encouraging to meet with Kelli and I'm REALLY excited about getting my PC biz started in KC. Kelli had a contact for a fair booth in two weeks, so I'm planning to do that, and she also got me connected with a group to do monthly meetings with. If anybody has any connections in KC that would be willing to do one show with me to help me start my biz, I would be SO grateful. I'm carry around my catalog tote and try to make sure that I start up conversations with people in random places (the bank, the grocery store, etc) and see if I can get biz that way, but I'm not very good at it (yet!). Would love to have a little income coming in from PC (before and after I get a full-time job!). I've been applying and applying to jobs and haven't gotten anything yet, but I KNOW God must have one here for me (somewhere!) because He brought us here. All in His good timing! 

I did a woefully poor job of taking pictures this week. I'll try to be better the next time around! (Although, I've already failed for Friday, Saturday and Sunday pictures...)

No comments:

Post a Comment