Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Food & Drink. It's what we do.

Apparently I'm not a morning person. I used to be, but now I'm not. I've been averaging 10-12hrs of sleep a night since we got here, that seems slightly ridiculous to me - and it's not that I'm going to bed late, I'm still in bed between 9-10pm. I'm thinking I'll need to start getting used to waking up to the alarm again, since I'm hoping a job will present itself in the next few weeks.


Those big white tower things have
something to do with making the beer.
Don't ask me what though.  


Yay! Beer!
On Friday we went on the Boulevard Brewery tour. It's free and you get four 5oz beer samples at the end! (I still don't like beer, but I do like free...especially free beer for my beer-loving hubby.) They're the 2nd largest brewery in MO, with only Budweiser beating them out. It was really interesting hearing how the brewery had grown after it started in 1989. For example, the original goal was to produce 6,000 barrels of beer a year - they now produce 600,000 barrels each year. Impressive.



After the brewery, we went to My Big Fat Greek Restaurant and treated ourselves on a Groupon that we'd purchased in May. We started with Flaming Saganaki, which is imported cheese that they literally light on fire right at your table.

For our main dishes, Jordan enjoyed Lamb Chops and I had the Award-Winning Gyro, both were delicious and we later heard our server recommending our dishes to the table behind us. (We're not sure if she was recommending them because they really are some of the best options on their menu or if she was recommending them because she was drawing a blank when they asked for a recommendation and she looked over and recommended what we ordered. Either way, our dinner was fantastic. Both dishes were served with a zucchini/yellow squash dish, marinated potatoes and rice pilaf. I'm not much of a meat-eater, but I even enjoyed some of my leftover dinner for lunch today!

Sidenote: They had the biggest water glasses I'd EVER seen. For real. Does that glass look huge in the pic? It was really huge. Think 3x the size of normal water glasses at restaurants. I think it's because it's so stinkin' hot in KC. I'm trying to develop the habit of carrying my water bottle everywhere...the times that I forget it, I'm really,truly parched. 


Our dessert, which I unfortunately didn't get a picture of because we devoured it so quickly, was called Loukamades and described as "golden puffs lightly crisped and bathed in sweet honey syrup and topped with vanilla ice cream." They were delicious. It reminded me of those french toast sticks that you can sometimes get at breakfast buffets. Yum. Needless to say, we ate them all.

~*~

Saturday we made a short stop at Gomer's for a wine tasting before heading out to the base again to finish our game with Pat and Mary. I've got to admit...Empire Builder kind of grew on me! It probably helped that I was actually winning for most of the game. Mary surprised us all and won again. You'll notice (from the link) that the game play time is 180mins - that's not a joke, folks. It truly is a 3-4hr game (and it would have been even longer if Mary and Pat weren't so familiar with it). Pat spoiled us, yet again, with a fabulous dinner. This time we enjoyed scallops (Jordan's and my ultimate fav when it comes to seafood), green salad, baked potatoes, and steamed veggies. We topped it all off with a berry cobbler ("amazing" doesn't do it justice) and Breyer's vanilla ice cream (which, I discovered, is both Jordan's and my favorite kind and brand of ice cream). So fantastic. Another wonderful evening with family. We're so, so blessed and thankful to be living close by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment