Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Cross-Country Adventure...In More Ways Than One

The moving truck was packed, the SD apartment was cleaned, our cars were loaded to the roof...yet it still didn't seem quite real that we were moving across the country (or just a few states away). We got a bit of a late start as our chatty manager took a long time to check us out, but got on the interstate around 9am. We caught up to mom and Lucas a little past Sioux City and our three cars caravaned for the rest of the trip. Dad had left earlier and was a ways ahead of us. 

All was fine until about 1.5hrs from KC - there'd been an accident involving a semi and another vehicle and they'd closed down a stretch of interstate. We drove through a few ghost towns and finally made it back to the interstate. Jordan's car doesn't have AC or radio, so I think he had the "toughest" drive. This detour added about 2hrs to our trip. 

When we finally arrived at our new apartment, I was super relieved. I just wanted to see where we would be living for the next four years and get stuff unpacked and start getting settled. Little did I know God had other plans. 

I should have known something was going to go wrong when our renter's folder wasn't complete at the apartment - they didn't have our signed applications (which I'd faxed back and received confirmation that they were received), our renter's insurance, our electric confirmation, our rent check...basically nothing. Everything that I'd sent to our leasing agent and had confirmed that she'd received wasn't there. 

It got worse...after we got our keys and headed up to the apartment I first noticed that our three accent walls weren't painted, and then noticed a washer and dryer that shouldn't have been there, and then torn and stained carpet, dirty bathrooms, unpainted walls...long story short, they moved us to a new apartment. Everyone was super helpful and really nice, even though I was really upset. 

Now that we're here, Jordan and I actually like this apartment better - God's always got a better plan. The rent and utilities will be cheaper (b/c it isn't third floor), one of two pools is directly behind us, we're really close to the rear exit and the trash compactor and the whole apartment just looks nicer and cleaner than the other one. And now we're pretty much on a first-name basis with all the leasing agents and maintenance staff, so that can't be all bad. 

Unloading the truck went well and I was SO happy we decided to hire two movers to help out Saturday AM. They were machines and got everything done in less than 2hrs. If you're ever moving, I highly recommend hiring people to unload the truck. It was totally worth the money (and not all that expensive!). 

The only other annoying thing about switching apartments is that we had to redo all the work we'd done to change our address. Jordan was a rockstar and took care of all the calls after I looked up the numbers. Good man! 

We've done some exploring already, but I'll save that for another post. I know SD is hotter than normal this summer and apparently so is KC! Every day my phone tells me "KCMO: Excessive heat warning." 

Pics of our apartment to come after they've painted our accent walls (we get five now instead of three - part of their apology for the mixup) and I get some pics hung up.

Enjoy the sun! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited that you have a blog :) Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete