Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Finding Fellowship

Redeemer Fellowship, that is.

That's right. We've found a church that we're pretty (okay, REALLY) stoked about - especially considering we found it this early on. We were even more excited to find out that at least one other student and possible two other couples from the school go there as well. It's a younger church - both in the age of the congregation and the age of the church (it started in Midtown about four years ago).

What really drew us in was the preaching. Challenging. Deep. Focused. The first week (the 22nd), the regular pastor was gone and we were still impressed. Using Psalm 96, we were challenged to think about who (or what) we really worshiped. We worship something at every moment of every day, and you can be pretty sure that it isn't always God. The second week (yesterday) we heard the head pastor, and he is a gifted, passionate speaker. The church has been working its way through 1 Corinthians, so he picked it up at  6:9-11. He really focused in on "Do not be deceived." and discussed how we don't like things to be black and white - we like it a little gray, with a little wiggle room. In Christianity, you either love God or you don't. You either worship Him or you don't. There is no in between. He spoke about how so many people who consider themselves Christians haven't really experienced God. They believe that because they grew up in the church and know all the answers, they know God - but that's not how it works. It was a thought-provoking message and he pounded home that the only way we're saved is through Jesus (Eph. 1:11) - not through going to church our whole lives, or doing good things, or knowing all the answers.

Music is chosen intentionally, and I discovered I really enjoy songs written by Nathan Partain - here's one from yesterday:

I Have Found a Hidden Fountain
I have found a hidden fountain, that is running o’er with peace,

And it satisfies my thirsting, and it brings me to my knees.

Now at last, I’ve known refreshing; now I’ve drunk my fill of Truth.

He is sweet and good and loving, and He makes me all brand new.

I have found a flooding river, it has cut a path so deep.
It has washed out all my boundaries, and uprooted all my trees.
No, I cannot fight its current, it never fails and never yields
He keeps pushing, bending, breaking until all my soul is healed.

I have found a fearsome mountain, will not move and cannot fall,
In its strength I am so fragile, in its shadow I’m so small.
I have laid in cracks and caverns, touched his hands and felt his side.
All that power, rent to save me, Oh, I give him all my life.

I'm very excited to get involved with this church. Just to give you an idea of all the opportunities they offer, here's a taste: singleness seminar, marriage conference, baptism class, community meals, Redeemer 101 (to learn more about the church), Redeemer 201 (small groups), men's and women's "labs" (round table discussions), gospel communities (larger small groups) and there's even more...How to Read the Bible class, Evangelism class, Theology 1, New Believers class, Discerning Spiritual Gifts class...still more: ministry teams, tutoring at a nearby elementary school and volunteering at a nearby charter school, missions trip to Haiti. There's truly something for everyone at this church. I'm so excited we've decided to be a part of it. We're so thankful that God led us to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment